Monday, June 22, 2015

Flesh-eating-beetles are kewl

Dermestid Beetles - The Bone Cleaners


Many people raise dermestid beetles, some sell small starter colonies, others use them to clean skulls and bones. They are a source of income to these folks.

The interesting thing is most hobbiest and a lot of the small businesses really do not have any inkling on what the colonies are capable of.

I started three colonies last year.  Today any one of those colonies those can clean a deer head in less than 2 days. Not bad from a start of less than 700 dermestids per box.  I researched the insects for about two years before taking the big step and buying them.  I've used the information that was dug out of every paper and book I could find to raise these critters.

I am quite pleased at the results so far...and hopeful that things continue.







No comments:

Post a Comment